Take a look at this 1.25kJ (at 400VDC) that will seriously electrocute anything with its powerful 4 3900uF capacitors, 78 times the lethal amount for humans.
After 2 long years of on-and-off work my coilgun project is finally completed. For anyone who doesn’t know what a coilgun is, it’s a gun that fires a projectile with magnetic force instead of gunpowder. The projectile from this gun won’t kill a person, but the electrical energy stored in the capacitors is 78 times the lethal amount for human beings so this is no toy.
Some technical data:
– Action: single stage, bolt
– Power supply: 12V NiMH battery (fires about 15 times/charge)
– Charging: 40 watt regulated ZVS flyback driver (charge time ~30s)
– Capacitor bank: 4x 3900uF @ 400VDC
– Stored electrical energy: ~1.25kJ
– Switch: SCR
– Efficiency: unknown, probably 1-3%
– Body: lightweight ABS plastic pipe and sheets