Evo 4G Hacks – How to Install Ubuntu Linux on your HTC Evo 4G!

It hasn’t been too long since I spent like 5 days straight without sleep to get Ubuntu working on my Nexus One but here it is.  Now you can install Ubuntu linux on your HTC Evo 4G also!

This hack will actually work on most Android phones, all you have to do is re-compile the kernel with added support for loop devices. Some Android versions come with it enabled (such as the Nexus One) and if your phone is lucky enough, you might be able to get Ubuntu up and running in matter of minutes (given that you’ve already rooted your phone).

I even took a short video of install Ubuntu on my HTC Evo 4G:

video://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGp1cqQCAKw&feature=player_embedded

Enjoy, there’s a whole lot more stuff to come soon like WEP Cracking with Android and WordPress on Android, all brought to you by Zedomax.com! 🙂

P.S. I am also working on Fedora to run on my Evo 4G/Nexus One.

6 Responses to Evo 4G Hacks – How to Install Ubuntu Linux on your HTC Evo 4G!

1. Unxpekted says:

Awesome! Useless but cool hack.

I fail to see how this is useless. WEP cracking here I come.

Yup, I have a step-by-step guide on that with Ubuntu:

4. Unxpekted says:

iPhone has an app for that 🙂 No seriously we do, a few of them. Someone should dev a WEP cracker with a GUI pertinent to Droid. Right now Ubuntu on a 4 inch screen is just not that practical or convenient.

Ubuntu on the 4-inch screen is impractical but on the Nexus One core itself, it’s priceless, think about how many engineering students can now use their phone as testing device instead of carrying another laptop or dual-booting one, that’s the point, the GUI was just for demo purposes but the real value lies behind the “core system” that runs on Android.

6. mr.SCRAWNY says:

Hey I’m new to the droid. Would like to ask same questions. Any one have time to answer