Yipee! I am still waiting another 16 hours to get my HTC Evo 4G but someone on XDA Developers forum has posted instructions on how to root your HTC Evo 4G.
What does rooting HTC Evo 4G do for you? You have root permissions, install custom ROMs, and best of all, install apps not supported by the App store or needs root access.
Anyways, you will definitely need to root HTC Evo so you can hack Android 2.2 Froyo on it right away. (there should be Froyo ROMs for the Evo somewhere, let me do a post on that later).
Anyways, enjoy rooting your HTC Evo 4G:
download files below:
Put the PC36IMG.zip on the root of your sdcardCode:adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
Power off the phone
– Hold volume down while powering the phone on. continue to hold volume down until you see the WHITE bootloader screen.
– After a few seconds it will begin to checking for files, and find PC36IMG.zip. while its doing this it will show a blue progress bar while its checking. (this takes 30 – 60 seconds to finish)
– It will then list all the images in the zip and ask you if want to flash. SAY YES
– When its finished it will ask you if you would like to reboot. AGAIN… SAY YES
– At this point it will boot into a rooted rom.
– YOU ARE NOW ROOT!!!
– rename the PC36IMG.zip on your sdcard:
– plug your phone into a usb port on your desktop and do:
Code:adb shell mv /sdcard/PC36IMG.zip /sdcard/root-PC36IMG.zip