For those of you who got the Archos 5, there’s an easy way to install GMail, GoogleMaps, and Android Market onto your Archos 5. I have no idea why Archos even decided to not put Google apps as default (as they are the highlight of getting an Android device) but no worries, just install it yourself in couple easy steps.
1. Update your Archos 5 to the latest firmware by downloading the latest firmware here.
2. Download the Recovery Image file of HTC’s “recovery” image of Android 1.6.
3. Unzip that recovery image files and under /system/apps directory, you will find all the Google apps you need.
4. Copy over the apps files (.apk files) to your Archos 5.
5. Browse your Archos 5 file system using the on-board file browser and install the Google apps you need.
You can also use ADB to do it too, see ArchosFans.com here for that.