If you happened to own a cast-iron skillet like me, you will want to “season” the iron skillet every once in awhile to get the iron skillet perfect and ready for your next delicious meal. Apartment Therapy has some great pics and instructions on how to do that which isn’t too hard considering all you really do is put some vegetable oil on the skillet and “bake” it in your oven.
1. Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Wash skillet with warm, soapy water and dry thoroughly.
3. Apply a thin coat of vegetable oil, or vegetable shortening with a paper towel on all surfaces, inside and out.
4. Place in oven on center rack, upside down. Place a baking sheet or a sheet of foil on the rack beneath to catch drippings.
5. Bake for an hour, then turn off heat, open door, and allow to cool inside oven before removing.
6. Skillet is now ready to use.