Here’s a cool airplane hack on how to land a 747 just in case.
- Get on the radio, and tell whoever’s listening that you are landing a 747.
- Engage a single channel of the autopilot — light one of the buttons labeled “CMD.” Point the heading indicator in the direction indicated to keep the plane straight and level.
- Find the checklists in the side pocket of the pilot’s and copilot’s seat. If the plane is a 747-400, engage the Automatic Landing System (ALS). If it is not a 747-400, see below under “Landing Without ALS.”
- If you can’t find the checklists, use these:
- Before Descent
- EO’s system check completed.
- Pressurization set.
- All a/c packs on. Set the airfield altitude so the plane is depressurized on landing.
- Humidifier off.
- HSIs: Radio. Switch horizontal situation indicators to radio navigation mode.
- Auto brakes: set.
- Approach Checklist
- P.A. cabin call: “Cabin crew 15 minutes to landing.”
- Cabin signs and exit lights: on.
- Ignition: on. This sets the engine igniters for landing.
- Fuel system: set for landing.
- Fuel heat: check/off
- QNH: Set. So the altimeters read the airfield altitude on touchdown.
- Landing Checklist
- Gear check: handle down, handle in, light green.
- Speedbrake: armed.
- Hydraulics: checked.
- Landing flap: set at 25 degrees.
- SCCM’s report: received. The cabins are secure for landing.
- Find the Jeppeson charts. Locate the radio frequency.
- Find the flight management system’s buttons on the glareshield marked LNAV and VNAV.
- Put the Jeppeson map on a 100 mile scale using the EFIS control panel on the front panel. You’ll get a yellow FMC message on the middle screen when it’s time to land.
- On the control display unit between the pilots’ seats, twist the knob until the little numbers go down to 100 ft. above field elevation in the Jeppeson notebook.
- Get the aircraft set to land: press the LOC and G/S buttons on the glareshield. All three CMD lights will go on, and the system will automatically tune to the right ILS frequency.
- 1Turn on the autobrakes when the plane starts descending.
- Before Descent
Other interesting stuff at Zedomax.com: altimeters, auto brakes, copilot, exit lights, field elevation, flight management system, fmc, fuel heat, fuel system, hack on, humidifier, jeppeson, little numbers, navigation mode, radio frequency, radio navigation, s system, single channel
Check out more interesting categories: Consumer, DIY, Educational, Featured Hacks, Flying, Gadgets, Hack, HOWTO, Industrial, Misc, Travel.