DIY – How to Make your own iPhone Charger!

DIY - How to Make your own iPhone Charger!

You could probably take any cellphone adaptor and convert it into an iPhone charger pretty easy but here’s a cool DIY showing you how to make your own iPhone charger.

All you need are the 4 resistors stated above. I have modified some values of the resistors because of some miscalculation. Connect them as shown and provide the circuit with a regulated 5v supply. Get a female USB plug and connect it as shown to the circuit. Make sure the positive and negative terminals are connected correctly. The D+ and D- pins have low currents so connecting them wrongly may not blow up your iPhone.

via make

7 Responses to DIY – How to Make your own iPhone Charger!

1. xun says:

thanks! modified my 3600mAh USB UPS battery pack to work with my 3g iphone. it works great!

2. Peterv says:

Hi,

I have modified several usb chargers to work with my iphone 3g. All I did was join pins 2&3 inside the charger. I don’t know whether this works on other apple gear though.

3. jordan says:

does this work with the ipod classic 5.5G?

4. Peterv says:

Hi,

I tried this on my Iphone & seveal older ipods. I found that when I increased the voltages ( by changing the resitor values) to 2.0 & 2.7 it worked on all of them. Joining pins 2 & 3 worked for my Iphone 3G but not the ipods.

5. wmertens says:

Woohoo that did it!

My problem: My 3GS wouldn't charge using my Mini Cooper USB plug, whereas my iPhone did.

What I did:
    1. Got a small piece of thin see-through sticky tape, wide enough to cover the 2 pins in the middle of the USB plug
    2. Got 1 small bit of copper wire from electrical wiring
    3. Put the bit of wire on the sticky tape
    4. Put the sticky tape in the cradle's usb plug so that the 2 middle tracks are covered and the copper wire connects both.
    5. Folded the leftover sticky tape around the plug so I can take it out again if I want to
    6. Plugged in the newly-shorted-and-disconnected plug => iPhone 3GS charges!

Note, I don't use the horrible Mini iPod interface. Also note, this cable doesn't work in a bus-powered hub, I suppose the 3GS senses the voltage drop as current increases and decides the bus-powered hub is too weak.

6. zedomax says:

Probably, good thing you figured it out though and thanks a bunch for sharing with the rest of us. It's not often people find answers to their problems but glad it worked out for you, WOOHOO! I will send u a free T-shirt one day when i have a bunch. 🙂

7. zedomax says: