1. The iLive IBCD3817DTBLK Portable Boombox is probably the best bet for your money as it’s not only an iPod-dockable speakers, the Boombox itself is also a radio/CD player. This is probably the best speaker you can get for your money.
- Black iPod/CD/radio boombox with built-in iPod docking station
- Pair of front-firing speakers and dual subwoofers produce rich sound
- Vertical-loading CD player supports CD, CD-R, and CD-RW formats
- AM/FM tuner; blue backlit LCD display; auxiliary input and A/V output
- Measures 18.8 x 8.8 x 9.2 inches (W x H x D); 90-day warranty
2. If you can afford it, the Bose SoundDock might be the best choice for listening to your music with super crisp stereo treble and bass. I personally own Bose noise-cancelling headphones and Bose speakers in my car. They do pretty good job of offering treble and bass power while the speakers do not justify them.
High-quality sound from your iPod® – now made portable. Enjoy acclaimed SoundDock® performance almost anywhere.The SoundDock Portable digital music system reproduces music with fullness and clarity unmatched by other battery-powered iPod speakers, from a design even slimmer than our original. Proprietary Bose® technologies let you enjoy your iPod out loud in more locations without compromising soundquality.A rechargeable lithium-ion battery (included) provides more power and longer playing time than most other rechargeable batteries. The rotating dock disappears for storage and protection during transit. And a molded handle makes it easy to carry the system from place to place.Just dock and play all iPod models featuring a click wheel, including all nano, mini, photo, and video models. The system also plays music from your iPhoneTM.* The iPod charges as it plays for uninterrupted music enjoyment. A custom remote easily controls the system and basic iPod functions, including playlist navigation. Auxiliary input lets you play other portable sources, too.The SoundDock Portable digital music system. Unsurpassed performance and portability for the serious iPod listener from the most respected name in sound.*In the event of audio interference, set iPhone to airplane mode.
3. The B&W Zeppelin iPod Speakers may be the modern solution to your modern bedroom with its aesthetically pleasing oval shape. At $599, it’s not a bargain but you do get what you paid for.
Zeppelin allows you to have real hi-fi stereo sound wherever you need it: upstairs, downstairs or perhaps in a den, bedroom, kitchen, office or second home. Or you might just need a simpler, smaller and more stylish replacement for your traditional audio system.
Zeppelin rocks, wherever you are, yet is simple to set up and use. Plug it in, place your iPod on the docking port and hit the play button. You can vary the volume on Zeppelin itself, on its remote control or on the iPod. And connections at the back let you play other sources through Zeppelin or channel images from your iPod to a TV.
4. Altec Lansing inMotion iM600 Portable Audio System isn’t for everyone but for people who are really concerned with sound quality. If you don’t want to spend more than $150 for quality portable speakers such as the Bose or Zeppelin, these Altec Lansing portable speakers might be your best option at under $120.
- Model Number: iM600
- iPod compatibility: All iPod models
- Power supply: Built-in lithium ion battery, AC power adapter (included)
- Battery life: Up to 7 hours
- Tuner: FM
- Antenna: FM telescopic antenna
- Display: LCD display
- Connectors: Composite video output, audio input
- Alarm clock: Integrated
- Sleep timer: Integrated
- Dimensions: 11.0 x 6.0 x 1.7 inches / 283 x 152 x 43 millimeters (W x H x D)
- Weight: 2.1 pounds / 0.9 kilograms
- Warranty: 1-year limited warranty
- What’s in the Box: inMotion iM600 mobile speaker system, wireless remote, iPod docking adapters, AC adapter, user’s guide, quick connect instructions
5. The Athena iVoice Direct Radiating Dock & Sound System for iPod does a lot more than amplify sound. The Athena unit also can act as a communication medium between your iPod and your TV to stream images and videos via a wireless remote control. For people who use iPod/iPhone as a media device more than MP3, the Athena iVoice can be a great addition.
- Video output allows you to view images and video stored on your iPod photo or iPod video on your TV
- Audio input allows the system to function as a PC speaker
- Wirelessremote lets you adjust the settings from across the room
- Stylish, high-gloss black cabinet finish; wall-mountable
- Charges your iPod while docked
6. The Pure-Fi Elite speakers from Logitech can be great for all your bass heads. It comes with enough bass power for you to enjoy thump and hump from your iPod/iPhone devices.
Don’t buy from Logitech.com at $299, you can get it for less than half the price for about $125 at Amazon here
The Pure-Fi Elite immerses users in high-quality acoustics. The system features two 1-inch high-definition soft-dome tweeters to ensure precision and clarity from even the highest notes. The two 4-inch high-power long-throw woofers are capable of filling the room with deep, powerful bass. Meanwhile, DSP-controlled, dynamic, digital EQ, and advanced filtering features minimize distortion to create true-to-life sound. Also included is a bi-amplified transducer design with digital electronic crossover for studio-quality audio that plays louder and sounds better. The onboard StereoXL technology dramatically widens stereo image, creating an immersive audio experience.
Composite and S-Video output jacks are included for when you want to view iPod video files on a big screen while enjoying outstanding audio pumped through the Pure-Fi Elite.
The Pure-Fi Elite supports all iPod models with dock connectors–including iPod nanos and fifth-generation iPods. The Pure-Fi Elite supports 1G through 3G iPod models (and other portable music players) via a 3.5-mm auxiliary input. With an easy-to-read digital clock, the Pure-Fi Elite measures 17.6 by 10.6 by 5.7 inches and comes backed by a two-year limited warranty.
7. The JBL Radial speakers are probably the most aesthetically pleasing for your eyes and ears. If you think you need a ornament that fits your modern-design home and play music, this is it for only $199.95 from Amazon.
- High-performance loudspeaker with built-in iPod docking station for charging and synching
- 4 aluminum-domed Odyssey full-range drivers and single low-frequency neodymium driver
- Compatible with most docking versions of iPod; auxiliary input for MP3 players and other devices
- Wireless RF remote lets you change tracks, browse libraries, adjust settings, and scroll extras
- Measures 12 inches wide and 10.5 inches tall; weighs 2.5 pounds; 1-year warranty
8. The mStation Orb Speakers make great artisitic addition to your house while providing you with quality music. You have a choice of many colors so depending on your wall color, you can match it with the perfect speaker. At $129.95, it’s a bargain for a speaker that does not look like one.
This Sleek and Stylish “Made for iPod” Desktop Docking Station/ Speaker System packs a powerful thumping Bass that only a Dedicated Subwoofer can produce. Every Orb includes a 10 Key Remote that allows you to navigate within Playlists from a distance, as well as adjust the Volume ±, Bass and Treble. At approx 8 inches in diameter the mStation 2.1 Stereo Orb is the perfect addition to any Home, Office, or Dorm Room and comes in 7 different colors to match your room, mood, or even your iPod! The mStation 2.1 Stereo Orb comes in White, Black, Blue, Green, Pink, Red, and Silver.
9. The I-Sonic Entertainment Speakers bring you great stereo sound with four specially designed speakers. It might be a great way to get full-system speakers without breaking your legs. You also get HD-radio. There’s two models, one with CD/DVD player and the other without at a $100 price difference. You can get it at the I-sonic website or Apple Store here for $499 w/o the CD/DVD player.
Polk’s breakthrough I-Sonic acoustic system creates a stereo soundstage throughout your entire room. Here’s how it works. We start with four specially-designed full range speakers, two on the front and two on the back of the sleek I-Sonic Entertainment System console. Through the magic of Digital Signal Processing, Polk engineers create full stereo all the way around the system. And for lows so deep they will astound you, we include Polk’s patented PowerPort® bass technology.
10. The JVC NX-PN7 Dual iPod/iPhone Dock speaker system is perfect for those of you with multiple iPod/iPhone devices. The system also comes with Video outputs for connecting to your TV or LCD.
- Dual Dock Design for iPod / iPhone compatible
- AM/FM Tuner
- Dual Alarm
- Multi-Color Illumination
- iPod Video Output