Chocolate, Is it Bad for Dogs?

If you are a dog owner, you might have heard that chocolate is poisonous to dogs.  Well, according to sources, it is toxic, but not unless the dog eats a certain amount.  In other words, chocolate may have to be treated sorta like alcohol for dogs and do in moderation.

We’ve all heard it, “Don’t give your dog chocolate it will kill him”. We’ll how true is it you’re probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M’s?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

via talktothevet

2 Responses to Chocolate, Is it Bad for Dogs?

  1. Wrinkle Creams says:

    This is a really cool point, I love chocolate, and i wouldnt want my dog to get a hold of it and die. 🙂

  2. Potty Training Puppies says:

    Great post! I hear all the time about chocolate killing dogs. I get into debates with pet owners all the time about this. I let my dog have a taste of chocolate sometimes because he loves it. If another pet owner sees this they go bonkers. I make sure that if I have chocolate around that it is always out of reach of my dog.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Check out more interesting categories: Animals, Consumer, Educational, Food, Health, Medical, Misc, Pets.


Related News and Resources