DIY HACK – How to make a Wireless Wall LCD Digital Photo Frame

DIY HACK - Wireless Wall LCD

DIY HACK - Wireless Wall LCD 2

Here’s a nice wireless wall digital photo frame howto.

A quick search of the web turned up several do-it-yourself articles by photographers that had built their own digital frames – typically from discarded laptops. The laptop based digital frames have larger screens (10” to 15”), and tend to be reasonably inexpensive to build (provided you own a discarded laptop).

The laptop projects that I saw had a couple of common issues, however. All of them involved taking the laptop apart completely and generally rendering it useless for any other activity. The screens were also smaller than I wanted – equivalent to an 8”x12” photo, and varied considerably in contrast, brightness, and general image quality.

For my project, I wanted a desktop quality LCD screen of a size equivalent to an 11”x14” photograph. I also wanted professional quality matting and framing. My wife was skeptical about the project, and I knew that if the frame did not look great, it would be banished to the family room, instead of being mounted in a place of honor in the living room.

I had recently upgraded my 17” LCD desktop monitor, and I also had a discarded laptop. I decided to use these as the base components for my digital frame.

via shuttertalk

7 Responses to DIY HACK – How to make a Wireless Wall LCD Digital Photo Frame

1. garrett says:

I’m pretty sure he put the LCD on the wall and took the photo before his wife found out. The frame isn’t centered on the wall, and it’s tilted!

2. Ninja Bus Men says:

I have a similiar idea. Ripped out the monitor form an old laptop. I have done some research and the problem is the lcd controller. Not only is the LCD controller $200 but the monitor also needs some fine tuning by the manufacturer to be compatible with the LCD Panel. The totalling cost quoted to me by earthlcd.com came out to be over $300 for which I could by a brand new 17″ inch panel with a corresponding controller. You have any advice on how to find a low cost LCD controller for a panel. The panel that I have is a IBM LCD panel (ITUX97E).
    First one to find me a solution get’s a cookie!
    Ben

3. girrrrrrr2 says:

i will take a cookie… but i dont have an awnser…

4. Izl says:

They have somthing like this for about 130$ that is a slideshow digital frame

5. Jeannine Chavez says:

I am intrested in knowing your process in to which you made it work. How did you get it to work as a wireless?

6. esecallum says:

I wish someone would turn or hack a cheap $20 or $30 5 inch or 4 inch lcd digital photo frame into a ebook reader for text and rtf files.

Ideally it should have 4gb storage from a sdd card with a long battery life or the option to turn the backlight off.

A lcd displays don't consume much power this could extend the battery life.

Ebook readers like the amazon kindle and sony ereader cost as much as a laptop at present.what a rip off.I mean $250 to $400 for a ebookreader.
    I don't want to pay that much on principle.

Even a mini netbook is unsuitable for ebook reading due to the short battery life.
    A low power low cost photoframe would be ideal.

I am surprised that no one has done this hack.The focus seems to be turning photo frame into video displays for which they are not really designed due to their poor frame rate.

They would are more suited to be ebook readers.

Anyone up for this challenge?

7. esecallum says:

A lcd displays don't consume much power this could extend the battery life.

I don't want to pay that much on principle.

A low power low cost photoframe would be ideal.

They would are more suited to be ebook readers.

Anyone up for this challenge?