Future on Ubuntu and Desktop Linux!

For many years I have been using both Windows and Linux, switching often between the two.  But for the last 3 years or so I have stuck mostly with Windows XP and Windows 7 as of its recent introduction to the consumer market.

Well, let me tell you I have good news, I decided to fully use my Ubuntu linux as main operating system.

Why Ubuntu Linux?

I’ve been testing with Ubuntu 9.10 since it came out couple month back (yes, I know there’s a beta 10.04, don’t be such a Ubuntuhead.), installed it on all of my desktops/laptops and even run in on Windows 7 under VirtualBox.

Recently, for the first time in my life, I decided to make my first bootable USB flash disk of Ubuntu.   After running with it for couple days, everything seems to work out of the box, which is enlightening because that didn’t happen couple years back when I was tinkering a lot with Ubuntu and other linux distros.

Also, I’ve stopped using Windows-dependent software long time ago such as Microsoft Office (I use GoogleDocs instead which is awesome with its real-time collaboration capabilities.) and with the invent of Google Chrome, linux users now have 2 flavors of the world’s most popular/powerful browsers including Mozilla Firefox.

I honestly asked myself the other day, “do I really need to use Windows?”

And then that’s when hit me, Ubuntu linux was now pretty up to par with Windows counterparts, there’s so much support and improvements happening, there was not many reasons I would need to continue using Windows.

So, after couple serious thinking, I’ve decided to use Ubuntu as my main operating system.  Of course, I will keep running my Ubuntu on my USB flash drive.  I like the fact that my desktop is free to go everywhere and it’s pretty darn fast.

The only thing I miss from my Windows 7 desktop are the photo/video editing software like Adobe Photoshop and Premier Pro, which is the reason why I will still have Windows 7 around.  I could run Windows 7 under VirtualBox/VMware in linux too but I guess I have a hard time letting go of things.

Anyways, I am gonna try out how my Ubuntu experience goes for the next couple months.   It’s been pretty good so far as most of my stuff are basically using Firefox, Chrome, and listening to internet radio while I work.

Have you changed your main OS to Ubuntu yet?  Leave your thoughts at the comments line, I would love to know about your experiences too.

GO OPEN SOURCE!!! YEY!!!

P.S. I believe Linus Torvalds started something very special, we are living the age where Linux operating systems are really gaining momentum these days, if you don’t believe me just look at Google’s Android and Chrome OS, both of which wouldn’t be possible today without linux, thank you very much and that is what Apple is worried about, “the open source guys” who seem to make no money whatsoever but take over the world.   Well, just people who love to share knowledge with others really, not just about money but for future well being for our youngsters on Earth.

One more thing, I think Linux would be a perfect platform for a multi-touch tablet device like an iPad.   I mean come on, iPad isn’t compatible with anything but itself, one of its major flaws.

If someone can make a great Linux mod for multi-touch tablet devices, that would be something to hold in awe, and Linux is compatible with many devices including Windows and Mac.

One day I am sure it will happen, that will be the day when your regular Joe realizes that Linux isn’t so bad after all, it’s the best thing that happened in technology in the last century.  On the other hand, I can’t really say that about either Windows nor Apple, they both have a lot of problems.

7 Responses to Future on Ubuntu and Desktop Linux!

What’s the problem with video editing ? Just use LiVES (http://lives.sourceforge.net), the best and most powerful video editor for Linux.

There is an ubuntu ppa available here:

or just:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hrickards/lives
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install lives

Oh really? Will try that for sheezy, thanks for the link.

Well trieds Lives but hugely disappointed, 1080P videos editing is near impossible.

4. nicolito says:

If you have ubuntu and an internetconection (which you obviously have) there is no windowsprogram that don’ t have a linux counterpart which you can install via synaptic. Yes, sometimes you have to manually add repositories first, but that is a good thing. It gives you control.

You should try out gimp. After getting used to it you will find out that it does everything photoshop does, and more. There is an infinity of plugins available. You said it yourself. “just people who love to share knowledge with others really”, and superduper programs 🙂

The only program which I canot find a rival to is Autocad. Sadly… because I need it.

Personally I have been using only ubuntu for over 3 years. With 8.04 it’s been a lot of tweaking and problemsolving. A pain sometimes.. But with 9.10… Like you said. Out-of-the-box! Almost perfect.

Compatibility problems aren’t all because of the OS though. For a long time my digital ID program has only worked under windows or 32-bit linux. I use neither
    But lately they have released much more compatible programs (64-bit). Life has been much better since 🙂

10.04 should be released next week. Those who have tried it says it’ s even better then 9.10. I sure hope so.

5 days straight on Ubuntu, didn’t even boot Windows yet, might have to while I edit 1080P HD videos I take later this week though.

6. sirwallis says:

since i got my ps3 and xbox i have stoped using windows as a main operating system i now only use linux, its so much streess free to use compared to windows and need so much less time to maintain
    it give me more freedom with my time i can start posting comments now lol

7. Digital says:

I like ubuntu and i’m building now a desktop midi tower pc with my bare hands with ssd hard disk 4cores cpu 8gb ram just for ubuntu !!
    Ok ! Maybe i will install windows 7 in a seperate disk cause i will have a good graphics card and i would like to play some games , also right now there is no good video editing software for linux and also there is no good rapid web design app !! I heard about a good video editor that will come till december and another project but till now i only use openshot (its super slow when it uses blender to render 3d text titles!! super super slow).
    Also linux dont have many games.

I would like linux to have a better filesystem and i wanted apps to launching faster cause they need some time to launch .
    Any way i want to turn completely to opensource and ubuntu/linux operating system.
    The only problem i have with ubuntu/linux is bad graphics card support, bad usb tvtuner support and not much software