HDTV Hack – How to Connect your PC to HDTV via HDMI/DVI Cables!

This weekend, I had the pleasure of hooking up my friend’s new 52″ Samsung LCD HDTV to his new gaming PC.

If you are like most people, you probably already know how to connect your PC to HDTV via an S-Video Cable.

Now, S-Video is perfectly fine for viewing your PC/laptop on your TV but it won’t give you “HD” resolution of 1080p, 1080i, or 720p.

Most S-Video outputs are only capable of producing upto about 1024×768 pixel resolution and that’s analog signals, meaning your signal will get somewhat affected by noise and not the best way to surf the web on your HDTV.

Now let’s say your TV is capable of HD AND you have DVI Outputs on the back of your PC as shown in the image above.

Then, provided you have a Video graphics card capable of 1080p (which means it can pretty much do 1920×1080 pixels on your HDTV), you will be able to get a perfectly crisp 1920×1080 pixels on your HDTV.

Now, to do this, you need a cable depending on how far your PC is from the HDTV.

The simplest way is to get a HDMI-M to DVI-M cable to connect the DVI side to the PC and HDMI to your HDTV.   Here’s a site I found that has really low prices on it. ($32 for 50 feet, I found a 5 foot cable at BestBuy for $60, don’t go there)

(HDMI-M to DVI-M cable)

Once you are connected, you should be able to surf the web pretty easily on your HDTV depending on how far you sit from it.

Here’s a re-cap of what I just told you in simpler terms:

• S-Video – 1024×768 Maximum resolution, Analog signals (suck)
  • DVI (PC) to HDMI (HDTV) – 1920×1080 Maximum resolution, Digital signals (clean)

Required Hardware:

• DVI-capable Graphic Card
  • HD-capable TV (HDTV)
  • DVI(male) to HDMI(male) cable

Most people who have bought PC in the last couple years will probably have all the required hardware except the DVI to HDMI cable.   If that’s the case, I highly suggest you to buy one online.  Don’t buy retail, you will pay 3-5 times more for it.

There you have it, now you  know how to take full advantage of your HDTV and watch YouTube and other online videos crisp and clear.  Perhaps you are a genius already at this but for those of you who don’t know, I hope this helps you surf on your HDTV. (and take advantage over the crisp, clear 1920×1080 pixel screen)

26 Responses to HDTV Hack – How to Connect your PC to HDTV via HDMI/DVI Cables!

1. Pingback: RealDVD offers Unlimited DVD downloads to your PC for a Flat Fee! | zedomax.com - The DIY, HOWTO, Hacks, Gadgets, and Tech Blog!

2. Michel says:

Where is audio connection?
    DVI includes video data only. HDMI includes both video and audio data.
    You connect DVI cable to HDMI port. What about audio?
    You watch the silent TV ?

Yes, you have to connect audio separately, I didn’t include that since that’s pretty easy and common sense.

4. Pingback: TV Hack - How to Watch Free TV Shows! | zedomax.com - The DIY, HOWTO, Hacks, Gadgets, and Tech Blog!

5. uzair says:

I have a Toshiba HDTV, there are different input options, when I connect my pc to tv using dvi->hdmi cable and choose hdmi input option from tv i can only get video not audio, i know its easy to run another sound cable from sound card to tv sound input, but most tv doesn’t allow you to combine two inputs to one A/V signal, e.g. Input 1:Composite A/V, Input 2: HDMI My sound wire connected to input 1, video to input 2 and there is no way I can select both to watch youtube on my tv.

6. geraldz says:

It’s really nice, yes, but most computers don’t have DVI or HDMI. However, most do have VGA/SVGA. I’d have to disagree on the s-video supported resolution – it’s only good for standard definition (SD), which is 480i or 576i. VGA/SVGA supports full high-definition and you can purchase a low-cost specialty cable that includes audio. PCTVCables.com

7. JC says:

I recently found this product to connect my PC to my Sharp Aquos. It works great, and the clarity is suppurb. Best thing, it also brings both the video and audio from the USB port to the HDMI output. I highly recommend checking this one out.

8. I had a hell of a time getting this right but since i’m pretty resourceful I got it.

I have a memorex 32″ LCD HDTV and an HP Pavillion, with a Geforce 8500 GT graphics card, just for the record.

When the computer started up it showed the HP Pavillion splash screen and then showed the vista startup screen. got into windows and then I get a black screen, computer goes nowhere and I get a blue screen of death.

Restarted into safe mode and boom, I got video. crap rez but i got it fine.

Couldn’t play with my Nvidia control panel becasue it did not load, but IT did work. I restarted.

I couldn’t get vista to get it automatically… It just kept at a black screen so I used this thing which came with my video card.. An Svideo to HD compnent (see image here: http://compeve.com/images/hdtv_cable.jpg) . Connected it to the tv and restarted.

BOOm, I got video. I can change the rez and everything fits on the screen. it just looks like hell cuz it’s Svid and at high resolutions it’s impossible to read.

So i connect the DVI cable and plug the HDMI end of it into my HDTV, use my NVIDIA control pannel to force look for other monitors and it finds it as a ProView/EMC/PTS MLT3221,

I had to mess with the dual monitor thing and change the resolution. with my HP laptop it has built in HDMI cable support and recognized and displayed everything like a sinch. not so in this case. So i know my LCD HDTV is a 1080i capable TV up to 50hz. It wasn’t displaying right because it was putting it at like 59hz. but as soon as I changed it to 50, I got a 1080i crisp image. I told it to clone the same resolution on all tv’s, adjusted the gama and stuff to make it look optimal and restarted (after I unplugged the stupid Svid) Now vista recognized it as my only display. The only problem was I had to use NVIDA’s control pannel to change the image size becuase I couldn’t see about an inch or two on teh left and bottom of the screen (start menu wasn’t visible) after adjusting it I had a great picture. although all the text was pretty small, I just changed it in the Personalize section to 120dpi for better reading.

It most definetally was not something that happened as easy as it reads in this tutorial, But glad I had that svid to component or I would have been severly pissed..

9. hey I’m having problems with audio too, i know you connect it seperately, but I have a M-audio mobile pre connected through USB, a separate connection. I am not getting sound however.. strange sauce..

10. i am having audio problems too. i have my samsung hdtv connect to my pc via a dvi port (geforce 9500 GT) and i have awesome video(i have blu-ray play on machine) but i cann’t get sound. I have connected my tv to the pc using composite cable with adapter from headphone port. no audio! so i connect my ipod to the TV to check the cable configuration worked and whilst the PC is booting i have audio. BUT as soon as vista kicks in the audio stops? i don’t understand?

11. 10pmStalker says:

Nice guide, im about to get an HDTV. Audio was my only worry and now im even more worried lol. The TV im getting has a DVI port on it, so does my video card, would the picture quality be better if I used DVI to HDMI or DVI to DVI?

No, I believe they are the same thing. DVI to HDMI or HDMI to DVI or DVI to DVI, it’s just a different looking adaptor but they are the same thing. :)

13. 10pmStalker says:

cool thanks max, will save me a few bucks. I thought for sure I should get DVI to HDMI

14. naresh says:

hai guys, pls help me out

im planning to buy a full hdtv which is 1080p has 3hdmi slots, my pc has nvdia card which has dvi port, i even have an home theatre system(jamo 5.1). now if i connect my cpu to tv, then it obviously means that im replacing my monitor with an hdtv right?????????? so my hdtv speakers wont work??? instead i can connect my home theatre to audio out of my cpu, and can i use a tv tuner card to connect my cable box, what will be the quality of image will it be good???????? pls help me out im waiting for ur reply helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

15. DT says:

I know newer video cards like the Nvidia GTX 295 have a connection for the audio (a cable that plugs into your sound card or Motherboard, and then into the video card). That allows the video card to pass the audio to the HDTV thru the same cable (from your pc)… That will allow your HDTV to get the audio.

16. EVE says:

I HAVE A HDTV AND I CONNECT MY TOSHIBA LAP TOP TO IT.. IT WORKED FINE THE FIRST TIME WITH SOUND AND EVERYTHING.. BUT NOW, I TURN ON THE LAP TOP AND I ONLY SEE IT ON THE SCREEN WHEN IT BOOTS UP.. THEN IT DISSAPEARS! CAN ANYONE HELP WITH THIS?
    THANKS, EVE

17. jdmalibu says:

Solution for Audio…..If you need to route into a receiver.
    HDMI direct to TV. Separate audio cable to receiver. I have a soundblaster card with Optical out. Most receivers are set to only accept the HDMI signal as a sole source for audio and video.

18. zedomax says:

Yes, that's correct but best way is to use 1 cable if you want a cleaner TV
    console.

19. jdmalibu says:

Solution for Audio…..If you need to route into a receiver.

20. zedomax says:

Yes, that's correct but best way is to use 1 cable if you want a cleaner TV
    console.

21. jdmalibu says:

Solution for Audio…..If you need to route into a receiver.

22. zedomax says:

Yes, that's correct but best way is to use 1 cable if you want a cleaner TV
    console.

23. DanFjestad says:

I connected the cord from my computer to my TV and my TV just says no signal. do i need to open something else on my computer?

24. DanFjestad says:

I connected the cord from cpu to tv and tv says no signal. Do i need to open something else on the cpu?

Hmmm… try messing with the display settings on your computer, it’s not going to work without actually changing your display settings.

26. Typically, the VDR behaves like a normal digital receiver; the picture is sent to a television, and is controlled using a remote control by choosing items from a simple but functional On Screen Display (OSD). While switching channels, an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) provides information such as the title of the current and next show. The EPG can be configured to display the shows of only one station, or of all current broadcasts in “What’s on now?/next?”. Many other options are also available such as: sortable channel listings, a program schedule, timer programming, and a list of pre-recorded shows. Commercials can be removed from pre-recorded shows using the cutting functions.

My personal tip is the new Mystique SaTiX-S2 Sky , a PCI card, DVB-S2 (HDTV, MPEG4), which seamless integrates into SuSe (my version 11.3) and VDR system